I’m leaving for Hawaii in 7 days (!!!!!) and in 11 days I’ll be running a 10k on Maui.
Thanks to my lack of training
motivation I opted for the 10k over the half and planned on starting getting some runs in starting last week.
Well, it turns out, my knee had other ideas.
After it hurt for the majority of a week, I decided to bite the bullet and call my physio. Except…my beloved physiotherapist Julie was no longer at the office near my house. After some unsuccessful internet stalking, I put the call out on Facebook and wound up with a recommendation for a physio near my office.
Six days ago I had my first appointment and it was…..inconclusive.
When I was seeing Julie in the spring, it was for the same pain as I’m having now, and while it dissipated some, it never entirely went away.
Some days it would bug me. Some days it wouldn’t.
I was never able to pinpoint the pain to a specific movement, and I’m honestly not sure what I did in order to hurt my knee.
I went through my entire injury history (tendinitis, shin splints, etc) and then we got to my knee.
She checked the stability of my knee and we’re all good there; however, because of where the pain is presenting, we’re considering it might be a meniscus issue.
Now, I did have a knee thing about a year ago and after my massage therapist poked around, we speculated my meniscus might be the culprit, so I wasn’t totally surprised at this potential diagnosis.
The reason we don’t know for certain is because I haven’t yet had an MRI. We decided to try some (more) glute strengthening exercises (they’re way stronger than they were a year ago!) and a few more sessions before we put in the request for imaging.
So, what does running look like for me?
As long as I have full mobility of my knee (ie. it’s not locking) I’m cleared to run up to 10k, but need to ice after each run, can’t run more than 2-3 times a week, and can’t run two days in a row.
Since my knee has been acting up a bit since my appointment (not surprising since we bugged it some) I’ve opted to rest it, but I’m hoping to get in a run or two before I leave.
Running (and barre) will be played by ear for the next while until my knee settles and/or I’m able to get a concrete diagnosis.If it's not one thing, it's another. Learn why Ange is taking an extended running break. #runchat Click To Tweet
Disclaimer: Posts may contain affiliate or referral links. Your support is appreciated. Thank you!