Good morning, and happy Monday!
I’m currently three weeks out from my marathon and also wanted to share my thoughts about this training cycle.
In any other situation, I’d be a bit nervous about being a bit under trained for my race. However, this isn’t just one marathon. I have two more marathons after, and I really don’t want to get burned out by the time January rolls around.
This weekend I completed my only long long run of this cycle. Normally, I’d be super nervous, but I know I’m in shape to finish, and I won’t break my body. I also don’t think anything can be tougher than the marathon I ran in May.
I’ve definitely had some setbacks in my training this cycle, mostly fatigue that lasted nearly forever, but I realized this week, I wasn’t exhausted all the time. Yay!
I’ve added in some supplements and a daily allergy medication (all doctor supervised) and it would appear it’s making a difference. I’d certainly like to have figured it out earlier in the cycle, but I have 16 weeks until Disney, and knowing it’s figured before I run 48.5 miles over 4 days is a good thing.
I did have a minor setback this week with a small muscle twinge, so I ended up resting an icing it for a few days, but thanks to tape and a chiro appointment, it’s feeling good.
The next two weeks have some challenges built into them, I’m out-of-town for a girls weekend in Waterton Friday to Sunday and then I’m out-of-town for work Tuesday to Thursday. I’m most concerned about my long run next weekend, I’m not yet sure where we’re staying, so I don’t know if I’ll have a treadmill available to me, or if I’ll be able to run outside.
With that, let’s take a peek at the past two weeks.
Marathon Training Recap
- Monday – Off
- Tuesday – 5 miles untimed
- Wednesday – Off (can’t remember why)
- Thursday – 5 miles and CXWORX at GoodLife Fitness with Jen
- Friday – Off
- Saturday – 3 mile warm up, 6 mile race
- Sunday – Spin class (in place of long run due to weather)
- Monday – BodyPump at GoodLife Fitness
- Tuesday – 2.5 miles. I was on track to rock my workout, but my posterior tibialis had a pain that kept getting worse and worse. I needed to hobble home. It’s a good thing I had an appointment with my chiropractor that evening. I iced and rested it for a few days.
- Wednesday – Off
- Thursday – Off (tattoo)
- Friday – Off (lazy)
- Saturday – 5 miles easy
- Sunday – 15 miles long run. I was really hoping to get closer to 18 or 20, but I didn’t fuel well on Saturday (I pretty much didn’t eat lunch) and crashed around 13 miles. Next weekend is my last chance at 18-20 before Victoria, so I’m hoping I’ll be able to get it in, even though I will be out-of-town Friday – Sunday for a blogger trip 🙂
I think my weeks are going…..okay. I wish we had more daylight in the evenings to get out and run longer. It’s starting to get dark by about 7:30, so that doesn’t leave a ton of time to run after work. I’m also finding any kind of niggle is exacerbated when I’m on the treadmill, so I’m trying to run outside as much as possible.
I feel like I’m still figuring out how to train for a marathon. I feel good now when it comes to a half, but I’m still figuring out the marathon and how best to schedule my training and fit it into my life.
Have you ever struggled with fitting training into your life?
This post was written as part of the GoodLife Fitness Blogger Ambassador program.
Disclaimer: Posts may contain affiliate or referral links. Your support is appreciated. Thank you!