As promised, here’s the recipe that’s been making my lunches this week somewhat more kick-ass than usual.
I found this recipe in my much-loved (already) Runner’s World Cookbook, but did make a few modifications to the recipe as well.
Spinach, Bacon and Sweet Potato Salad
(adapted from Runner’s World Cookbook)
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and ground black pepper
- 2 slices thick cut bacon (I used 4 because that’s what I had)
- 1 red bell pepper cored and chopped (totally forgot to include this)
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced (I dislike red onions, so I used white)
- 1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger (I used store-bought salad dressing so this was omitted)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (I used store-bought salad dressing so this was omitted)
- Juice from 1 orange (I used store-bought salad dressing so this was omitted)
- 1 pound fresh spinach
I didn’t bother peeling the sweet potatoes before roasting them – I scrubbed them well and don’t mind the peel so much, so I took the lazy route and cut them up and roasted them at 400 for 30 minutes.
While the potatoes were roasting I cooked up four slices of bacon and hardboiled four eggs (one of my tweaks to the recipe).
After the bacon was cooked, I drained off the fat (but didn’t wipe the pan) and added 1 yellow onion and one container of sliced cremini mushrooms (tweak #2) and cooked those until slightly softened.
To assemble for work, I put the spinach and egg in one container, the sweet potatoes, mushrooms and onions in a second container, and the dressing in a third.
Here’s what the three containers look like when I’m getting ready to eat.
And here’s what it looks like all assembled.
Runner’s World has the calorie count, but since I don’t count calories, I don’t much care 🙂
Tell me: What kind of lunches do you take to work?
Disclaimer: Posts may contain affiliate or referral links. Your support is appreciated. Thank you!