A change from your typical taco salad. Sweet potatoes are used as chips and salsa chicken adds tons of flavour without a ton of calories. Try Sweet Potato and Salsa Chicken Taco Salad for your Superbowl party snack!
When I hosted the first (of many!) Bachelor nights, I wanted to make something healthy, but tasty for us to enjoy while watching adorable Ben and Olivia’s mouth.
Originally I was going to make sweet potato nachos, and then I decided everyone likes taco salad better than nachos, so I modified the recipe and it turns out it was a huge hit!
Superb Owl SuperBowl just a few days away now seemed like the perfect time to share the recipe.
Look at me – sharing a recipe!
I haven’t done that in ages!
[Tweet “Kick your #SuperBowl party off right with this healthy sweet potato taco salad!”]
Fact: I’ve diced more onions in 2016 than I did in all of 2015. Yikes.
Fact #2: I was honestly concerned about when we would get back into town from the Alberta Adventure Girls weekend. Not because I wanted to get stuff done around the house, but because I needed to watch the Pats-Broncos game and knew I’d likely miss the first half. I actually got home in time to watch the 4th quarter and while I was cheering for the Broncos, I expected the Pats to win, so I’m EXTRA thrilled to watch the Broncos in the Superbowl this weekend! I’m even driving down to my mom’s to watch since she and my step-dad are HUGE Broncos fans!
- 2 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 jar salsa
- 2 large (4 small/medium) sweet potatoes
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 head lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1 can black bean
- 1 can corn
- Optional: pickled jalapenos, sliced olives, sour cream/greek yogurt, avacado, guacamole
- Preheat oven to 450F
- Combine chicken breasts and salsa in a medium saucepan on low heat. Cook covered for 40 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Shred chicken in salsa, put aside.
- Line 1 rimmed baking sheet with foil and lightly spray with vegetable or coconut oil.
- Wash (optional: peel) sweet potatoes and slice into 1/8 inch rounds (like chips). Spread cut potatoes in one layer on backing sheet and lightly spray with cooking oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in lower third of the oven for 40 minutes, flipping rounds after 20 minutes.
- While the potatoes and chicken are cooking prepare the diced tomato, shredded lettuce, grated cheese, black beans, corn and optional toppings.
- Layer plate with sweet potatoes, top with lettuce, chicken, cheese and remaining ingredients.
- Can serve 4 as a meal, or 8 as an appetizer/snack
Who are you cheering for in the SuperBowl this weekend? What’s your favourite sports watching snack?
Disclaimer: Posts may contain affiliate or referral links. Your support is appreciated. Thank you!