Oh. Hello friends.
My goodness, the past 7 days have been such an ordeal, and I’m really hopeful that I might be able to get back to some semblance of normalcy now that Merlin is at home and healing.
Right before Merlin got sick I wrote down a ton of ideas for blog posts, and then was able to do nothing but worry about his well-being and how much the surgery was going to cost and how was I going to pay for it?!
Now that we’re over the hump (he still has 10-14 of healing to go) I think I’m finally in a place where I’m able to get back to blogging and sharing. I also so appreciate the kind words I received from everyone throughout. You can also check in on Merlin’s progress on his new Instagram account! Given how much I spent, I thought it would be totally acceptable to start up an account for him.
At the end of June, I wrote a list of summer blogging goals, and since summer is over half over (well, in some parts of the world – Calgary has been experiencing monsoon season since the beginning of July) I thought it was time to check in with my progress on them.
- Like last year, survey my readers and see what you love and don’t love. <– look for that coming this month!
- Set aside time on the weekends to do administrative stuff (respond to comments, finalize content calendar). <— hmmmm, nope, hasn’t happened yet.
- Make a list of link ups to participate in on a weekly or monthly basis. <– currently in progress, I’ll share when I recap in September.
- Write 1-2 round up posts each month. <– managed one for July! and working on another for August!
- Switch ad networks (I gave notice to my current network and that contract will be ending in August). <– requested my updated contract yesterday!
- Connect with local (Calgary and Alberta) and national (Canadian) businesses for opportunities and partnerships. <– this is moving along nicely.
- Reach out to other bloggers for opportunities and partnerships. <– I’ve done a bit of this and am working on more.
- Write (and publish) a mission statement. <– still need to complete
- Update SEO on older posts. <– still need to complete
- Write (and save) canned email responses. <– still need to complete
- Set aside 2 days per month to create content for Instagram. <– a good reminder! I’ll aim to work on that this weekend.
- Record blogging expenses for 2016. <– in progress, because it’s always in progress.
- Make my second bedroom my blogging nook (hang pictures, set up photography area). <– I’ve organized the room and set up my desk, now I need to do some tidying.
- Re-take the updated Pinning Perfect eCourse* <– I’m about halfway through.
- Learn how to design code in CSS to make the Social Warfare* tweets match my theme (probably not as scary as I think it is….) <– this I still need to figure out.
- Catch up on the Food Entrepreneur Summit* courses I fell behind on. (The summit did so well that Nicole has now made it into a course! If you missed out, you can still register and take part! Use code SUMMER to save $15 off until July 22!) <– ummm, nope, still working on it.
- Finally complete Blog School…..that I signed up for in 2014…..whoops. <– yeah, still working on that, too.
- Update my media kit (possibly register for Media Kit Smash*). <– and another I’m still working on.
- Create a blogging rate sheet for campaigns. <– I need to clean it up some, but it’s in progress.
- Reconsider publishing and selling pre-written running programs. <– still thinking about it
- Clean out my inbox (for a Type A person, it’s always a disaster). <– LOLZ. nope.
- Move out of my comfort zone and post four videos over the summer. <– I’ve been using Snapchat and Instagram stories more, but I do need to work on an actual video.
- Purchase a GoPro knockoff* for blogging photos and videos. <– DONE and I freaking love it!
- Engage more with other bloggers – find new blogs to comment on and share content. <– I did this for a bit and then vacation + Merlin and life went off the rails.
- Clean out my blog reader. <– I’m about halfway through.
- Unfollow people I don’t/haven’t interacted with on Twitter and Instagram. (Yes, I realize this is controversial, but I’m not a big believer in follow for follow. If I engage with you and enjoy your content then it’s no big deal, but I know there are people I’ve been following for years and they either no longer post, or I no longer interact with). <– still need to do this.
- Try using Facebook live at races during the summer. <– Hoping to do this on Sunday at Spruce Meadows!
- Start using my Erin Condren planner* to plan out workouts and blog posts (mainly so I can justify purchasing a new one and stickers for 2017). <– I switched to using a bullet journal instead and I love it!
- Celebrate my blog-aversary (except I don’t really remember when I started this blog since I had another blog, but I think it was in July?). <– definitely did not do this.
- Research starting a Calgary blogging network – the Blog Squad brought to life. <– I’m definitely making some headway here.
- Publish a list of Canadian-friendly blogging networks (ie. not just networks that accept Canadians, but also have opportunities for Canadians). <– I have this drafted, but still need to finish it.
- Create and update my CoSchedule* sharing templates. I recently upgraded my account to the marketing plan, so instead of needing to create my shares with each post, I’ve created categories so I only need to set it up once and then make some tweaks. So far I’m a HUGE fan! <– just a few more tweaks and I’m there.
- Update all of my social media profiles. <– I’ve updated my avatar, but need to re-do my write up as well.
- Download and save all current HauteChocolate photo libraries (they’re now moving to a 3-month lifespan, so I don’t want to miss out!). <– done for July!
- Create (and test) a schedule for posting to Instagram for maximizing engagement. <– on my list to do in August.
Did you set summer blogging goals? How are you doing thus far?
Disclaimer: Posts may contain affiliate or referral links. Your support is appreciated. Thank you!